Occasionally ReHouse will acquire several of one type of item. Maybe this is because someone gave up a collection or cleaned out the house of a hoarder. Whatever the reason, last week we received about a dozen umbrella stands. Not the ornate ones from the entryway of a Victorian mansion. The kind that lives on the patio and is heavy as you-know-what. The kind that hides under the outdoor dining table and holds the shade umbrella steady during summer meals.
Maybe you are like me. I have one of these under my small patio table. It has been there since we moved in 5 years ago. It once held a green and white striped canvas umbrella. Sadly, the umbrella broke 4 years ago, but the stand is holding firm. The arrival of these in the store made me think. Does everyone’s umbrella break? What are we going to do with all these stands? If the umbrellas break, doesn’t everyone already have extra stands and instead need new umbrellas?
Can these heavy and decorative stands be used for something else? Hmmm… Pinterest, here I come! Here is what my search turned up for you.
- DIY Umbrella Stand into an Easy Patio Table from Victoria at Dazzle While Frazzeled This is a well detailed DIY post with easy to follow instructions and great pictures. Nice work, Victoria!
- Vintage Bike Planter. I do not believe this is a real bike but it could certainly be the inspiration for something similar. Found on Pinterest. Photo from flickr user Carmen Moreno.
- Repurposed Bird Feeder made from various pans and metal dishes with umbrella stand as the base. (There was no link to an original post with this one.)
- Garden Fountain. This is a store bought example from Loluxe on Shopify. With a little help from This Old House and some spare parts you can certainly make your own.
- Umbrella Stand. Obvious perhaps, but maybe you have a less-than-pleasing umbrella without a stand. Don’t throw it out just yet. Penny at Penny’s Vintage Home shows you how to refashion your old, ugly umbrella to make it fit in your shabby chic outdoor living space.
Have you been inspired? I know I have. I am partial to the shabby chic umbrella. I am also considering the small patio table but with a chess board. Let me know what you plan to do. You can always post your reuse projects on Instagram with #reusewithrehouse and we will feature your project on our feed too! Here are some more pics of the stands we have available. Get’em before they’re gone.